Thursday, July 30, 2015

Who is your audience?

Today Adidas released a new commercial for their Original line. Ad Age spoke with Alegra O'Hare, global senior director-brand communications for Adidas Originals about the commercial. "It really takes it to another level," said Ms. O'Hare. "We're giving people the opportunity to really create conversations around what it means to be a superstar. It sends a very powerful message [to the] younger generation. It's just a great moment to be yourself and express yourself."

The gist of the spot is that social media responses doesn't dictate what these artists do. A montage of these artists is clipped together after they have each read the entire script so every couple of words switches to a new voice to produce the sentence. "Comments and reviews can measure popularity but could never measure my courage".  The final line in the commercial is "I create for an audience of one"

An audience of one is one of my favorite lines! I try to remind myself of that often. The difference between myself and these artists is who the one is. The previous sentence to "I create for an audience of one" was "I create for myself". That changes the entire meaning of the commercial. Adidas is saying 'be courageous and create whatever you really want to. If it's not popular don't worry. Perhaps it will be in the future or maybe it never will but the important thing is to be true to yourself'. And apparently you can be truer to yourself if you are wearing Adidas.

My audience is my creator. To create in a way that my creator finds pleasing also takes courage. Likewise it's not always popular. But if you are true to Him you are blessed with a peace that surpasses all understanding as was promised in Philippians 4:7. The Bible also says there is a way to man that seems right but leads to death (Proverbs 16:25). If you muster the courage to create things that please yourself for your glory you will become frustrated. The tortured artist syndrome is real. Some of the most miserable people to ever walk the earth are those who have followed their hearts... and been successful at it. Your entire life perspective changes depending on who you believe your audience is.  




No comments:

Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    This is my serious "self portrait" that I created in my bathroom. I have since shaved the beard but am too busy blogging to redo my self portrait.

    Followers